2020 Adventure Film Maker’s Competition
Entry Procedures and Regulations
|Entries open for 2020 on January 1st.
The NZ Mountain Film Festival is a competitive event bringing the best adventure films on the worlds remote places, extreme sports and their spirit of adventure from around the world to the alpine villages of Wanaka and Queenstown, New Zealand.
The festival provides an opportunity for filmmakers to showcase their work, receive merit and win cash prizes. We invite you to submit your film for pre-screening consideration. All films selected as finalists will be screened at our festival in 2020.
The theme is: Adventurous Sports and Lifestyles. But please be aware subject matter criteria is extremely broad and as long as there is a link with adventurous sports or people and take place in the world’s mountains, lakes, rivers, oceans or skies, that’s fine (mountain climbing, rock or ice climbing, caving, kayaking, white water rafting, base jumping, paragliding etc are all included)
Festival dates June 26 to July 4 , 2020
NOTE: We prefer to download your film for judging. Internet here is slow, and we don’t want the slow connection effecting the judges experience of your film.
There is a small handling fee of NZ$25 per film entered.
Entries are judged in the following categories: Entrants need not specify a category unless they only wish to be considered for one.
|Entries open for 2020 on January 1st.|
Rules and Entry Details
- The Judges reserve the right to withhold prizes in any category they consider not to be of a sufficiently high standard. Their decision will be final and neither the judges nor the organisers will enter into any correspondence regarding their decisions.
- All cash prizes are in New Zealand or American dollars
- Awards may be presented to the director or the producer of the film.
- Special Jury Awards may be given to films deserving recognition.
- Entries are not limited to one award and many films could fit into a couple of categories.
- Please indicate if you are also entering the New Zealand filmmakers category.
- The dispatching of any entry to the festival implies acceptance of these procedures and regulations by the entrant.
- Entries can be of any duration, in either: narrative, story, animated or experimental art form, and can be submitted by professional or amateur filmmakers.
- Filmmakers from any country may enter the festival.
- The Best New Zealand made film prize must be collected by a New Zealand citizen or resident, but need not necessarily be filmed in New Zealand.
- The judges decision will be final.
- Although we prefer screening a New Zealand or World premier of the film finalists, we respect that film makers often enter many festivals and have other opportunities to screen their films. Please ensure you let us know on the entry form if your film will be screened anywhere in New Zealand before our event in Wanaka, June 26 to July 1. If something comes up after entering your film, you are required to inform us immediately. It is unlikely that this situation will effect your inclusion in our Festival unless it is a screening directly in Wanaka.
- Entries with soundtracks in any language other than English MUST be accompanied by an English translation in sub titles and/or narrative.
- Entries MUST be accompanied by a short summary of the film.
- Films must either be in English, or have English subtitles.
- An admission charge will be made to the public in order to defray the costs of the festival.
- Receipt of entries will be acknowledged by the festival organisers as long as the correct e-mail address is supplied and ONLY if a requested.
- Finalists will be notified by June 1st, 2020.
- The entrant acknowledges and agrees that all matters not covered by these Regulations, and questions arising from them, will be decided by festival organisers or the festival jury at their sole discretion.
- Screening fees will not be paid.
We like all films to be supplied as .mp4 or .mov files with dimensions of 1920 x 1080. 1080p and h264 codec. The file should not be bigger than 10GB.
We prefer to download your film for judging.
All entries will be downloaded and then viewed prior to the festival by a pre-selection committee chaired by the Festival Director. Finalists chosen by this committee will be screened by the public over the festival. The jury reserves the right not to make an award, and its decision will be final.
Entries can be a DVD posted to us but we prefer to download a computer file via your FTP or from your Vimeo site. PAL standard preferred (but NTSC accepted). DVD’s SHOULD NOT be copy protected as the films will be copied onto a hard drive for screening during the festival. All computer files and DVDs are destroyed after the festival and we take great pride in not sharing your hard work with ANYONE.
Entries must be accompanied by two images from the film for the festival promotional use. Photos saved as jpegs can be attached to the entry form or e-mailed afterwards.
By entering into the festival, the entrant represents and warrants that:
i. It has the authority to enter the film in the festival.
ii. It owns all right, title and interest, including the copyright and all intellectual property rights, in and to the film being submitted to the Festival and has the right to distribute, exhibit and promote the film in or through all media formats now known or hereafter devised.
iii. No material in the film being submitted by the entrant to the festival is libellous or defamatory or violates the rights of privacy or publicity of any person and the full use of the rights in such film will not violate any rights, including copyright or moral rights, of any person, firm or corporation.
iv. The Entrant grants the Festival licensees and assigns the right to copy and version the entry in its entirety to facilitate technical operations of the Festival, in and through any and all media formats now known or hereafter devised.
v. The Entrant grants the Festival licensees and assigns the right to use up to three minutes from the entry AND accompanying photos submitted to the Festival for promotional purposes of the Festival in or through any and all media formats now known or hereafter devised.
vi. All music licences (including, without limitation, all synchronization, mechanical and master-use licences, as applicable) have been obtained and all payments have been made that are required for the public performance of the music incorporated in the film.
vii. By entering the NZ Mountain Film Festival’s competition, the entrant acknowledges and agrees to all entry rules and regulations of the Festival.
viii.The greatest possible care will be taken to secure your films and ensure no unauthorised screenings will take place, but in saying this, no responsibility for loss or damage will be accepted by the festival organisers.
The entrant agrees to indemnity the NZ Mountain Film Festival, their respective successors, licensees, and their respective officers, Trustees, directors, members, agents and employees and hold them harmless from and against any and all claims, liability, losses, damages, costs, expenses (including reasonable legal fees), and penalties arising out of, resulting from, based upon or incurred because of a breach by the entrant of any statement, representation or warranty made by the entrant in the entry form, these procedures and regulations.
- Fill in and click on the Submit button on the online entry form
- You will be sent a confirmation email with a Paypal link to pay the $25 entry fee. Note: if you do not receive this confirmation email please contact us to see if we have received your entry -you may have made a mistake in your email address.
- Ensure you have sent us, your promotional images, a link to download your movie (preferred) or posted your two DVDs.
Note: DVDs can be returned if return freight cost is prepaid. Entries from outside of New Zealand will need a customs declaration. Please state GOODS FOR EXHIBITION AND RETURN and put a nominal value of US$10
MAILING ADDRESS :
NZ Mountain Film Festival
Phone: +64 274 909 003
Any other questions or enquiries should be directed to the Festival Director, Mark Sedon. E-mail: email@example.com.
You will be emailed a link to pay the Entry Fee or use this link: