The 2nd Annual NZMFF MOUNTAIN BOOK COMPETITION is now closed for entries.
Our aim is to celebrate books and literature, listen to readings, hear and learn from established writers and adventurers, while enjoying and rewarding writers from NZ, and around the globe.
The NZ Mountain Book Festival is an exciting event, bringing the best adventure books written on the world’s remote places and extreme sports. We bring their spirit of adventure, from around the world, to the alpine villages of Wanaka (7-9 July 2017) and Queenstown (9 July 2017).
The festival provides an opportunity for writers to showcase their work, receive merit and win cash prizes. We invite you to submit your book for consideration.
The theme is: Adventure Sports and Lifestyles. Please note that the subject matter criteria are extremely broad. There must be a link, however, with adventure sports or people, and also be set take in the world’s mountains, lakes, rivers, oceans or skies. Mountain climbing, rock or ice climbing, caving, kayaking, white water rafting, base jumping, and paragliding are all included.
NZ Mountain Film & Book Festival: 30 June – 9 July 2017.
2017 BOOK ENTRY DEADLINE is 30 March, 2017
|2017 ENTRIES CLOSED
2017 NZMFF MOUNTAIN BOOK COMPETITION CATEGORIES
You can enter books in any of the following categories;
|Magazine Article Award – articles or short form essays with mountaineering, climbing or adventure themes under 3,000 words. Articles may be fiction or non-fiction and be submitted by individual authors, publishers or editors. Articles must have NOT been previously printed or published online (English editions only). $250 prize sponsored by NZ Wilderness Magazine.|
|Adventure Travel — non-fiction books with a theme of travel to, and exploration of, remote and/or rugged landscapes and their cultures (English editions only). $250 prize sponsored by Flight Centre.|
|Mountain or Adventure Fiction and Poetry — includes fiction and poetry books with a focus on adventure topics. Creative narratives about climbing and mountaineering, all aspects of adventure sports, exploration and mountain culture are acceptable (English editions only). $250 prize sponsored by Puzzling World.|
|Guidebooks — New Zealand and Australian non-fiction books dealing with physical activities in non-urban environments; including but not limited to: hiking, surfing, kayaking, climbing, fishing, mountaineering and “how-to” books (English editions only). $250 prize sponsored by Mt Iron Geodrill.|
|Mountain and Adventure Literature, Non-Fiction — includes non-fiction books, such as memoirs, biographies and narratives on mountaineering, climbing history, mountain exploration, mountain culture, and human experiences of any kind in the mountain wilderness (English editions only). $250 prize sponsored by Patagonia Chocolates Limited.|
|Grand Prize book award will be awarded to a book chosen from the above categories. $500 prize sponsored by Wanaka Paper Plus.|
|2017 ENTRIES CLOSED
|Dr Simone Celine Marshall – Chief Judge.
Simone is a Senior Lecturer at the University of Otago where she lectures in writing, and has a particular interest in travel writing. She challenges the reader, creates new ways of expressing ideas, and reveals the literary links between cultures and landscapes.
|David Vass – Judge.
Dave has a passion for reading and writing about the mountains. He is particularly interested in the ways we express our interactions with the natural world, be it through words or actions. He has always been impressed with the variety of these expressions and is looking forward to reading this year’s efforts.
| Joanne Weggery – Judge.
Jo is an English, Art History, and Drama teacher at Mt Aspiring College. She has worked in education for 18 years with an interest in strengthening literacy in the secondary school English curriculum.
2nd Annual – 2017 NZMFF MOUNTAIN BOOK COMPETITION
The NZ Mountain Film and Book Festival celebrates mountain literature, art and film, bringing together filmmakers, writers, artists, publishers, editors, photographers, athletes, adventurers, and – of course – readers. The literature and book aspect of the Festival features; guest speakers, readings, seminars, book signings and launches. The Festival offers a wide spectrum of experiences for the adventure book-loving audience.
2nd Annual – 2017 NZMFF MOUNTAIN BOOK COMPETITION REGULATIONS
1) First Editions – to be eligible for the 2017 NZMFF Mountain Book Competition, entries must be published after 2007.
2) New editions of previously published titles may be eligible if previous editions have not been entered in the competition in the past. Each title may be entered in the competition only once.
3) Entries may be submitted by authors or publishers. Please coordinate to avoid duplication.
4) Shipping, customs duties and taxes are the responsibility of the entrant. The use of retail values on international shipments may generate duty and/or taxes; these will be charged back to the sender.
5) All works must be in English.
6) A copy of the entry form must be received by us (on-line, e-mail, or mail) by March 30, 2017. Early submission is encouraged and appreciated.
7) Books must also be received at the Festival office in NZ no later than March 30, 2017; as either finished books or as advance reading copies.
8) Each entry must include one copy of your book. It can be second hand and a bit used. The copy is necessary for the judging process, and can be returned to a NZ address afterwards. Finalists will be made available for viewing at the Festival Library during the 2017 event. International entries can be returned, but postage must be included.
9) Entries must be accompanied by a synopsis of a maximum of 200 words. Other promotional materials such as media releases, reviews, etc, are welcome but are not a requirement.
10) Please email a medium-resolution image file (JPEG preferred) of the book cover to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
11) The competition organisers reserve the right to select the category most appropriate for a submission.
12) The competition organisers reserve the right to use excerpts from, and/or complete entries submitted, for promotional purposes.
14) The Grand Prize will be announced on Friday, July 7, 2017 at The NZMFF Mountain Book Festival and category awards will be presented to winning authors.
15) At the discretion of the competition organisers, winning authors and publishers may be notified in advance.
16) Decisions made by the jury will be final.
17) All books entered will be made available for viewing at the Festival Library during the 2017 event.
18) The dispatch of any entry to the Festival implies acceptance of these regulations by the entrant.
19) If for any reason you foresee difficulty in meeting these requirements or you have questions about your book’s suitability please contact the competition coordinator at: email@example.com
SHIPPING AND OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
ENTRIES FROM OUTSIDE NEW ZEALAND. All entries shipped from OUTSIDE NEW ZEALAND must include a completed Customs Form attached to the outside of the parcel. Please note that the declared value should be equivalent to the cost of materials only. Shipping, customs duty and taxes are the responsibility of the entrant.
MAIL/COURIER BOOKS to:
NZMFF Mountain Book Competition
17 Drake Place,